Attracting the right potential buyers and presenting the business in a manner that maximizes return from the sale are critical.
Many companies have found that the selling process is more challenging and time-consuming than it first appears.
In order to properly maximize the proceeds received, you will likely need to introduce many buyers to your business. We can help you determine how many prospective buyers should be approached at one time. The process can take from six months to one year or longer from the time you decide to sell until the transaction is completed. It will require a great deal of your thought and time. We can work closely with you throughout the following steps:
- Define Objectives and Develop a Program Plan
- Determine a Value Range for the Business
(Arrange for income tax planning and reorganization as appropriate)
- Determine Synergy Buyer, Private Equity Attributes and Value
- Prepare an Information Package
- Market Research and Identify Buyer Candidates
- Provide Information to Buyers including Management Interviews and Facilities tours
- Assist with Letter of Intent Negotiations
- Assist With Due Diligence Review
- Assist with Converting the Letter of Intent into a Legal Document
- Assist with Closing the Transaction
Answering the following questions will help you determine your likelihood of a successful sale:
- Do you understand how potential buyers will value your business and why they would want to buy your business?
- Do you have a package of information that is likely to arouse interest in promising buyer candidates?
- Have you identified potential buyers most likely to meet your price and other objectives?
- Do you have experienced advisors to locate buyers, assist with structuring the transaction and manage the selling process in a confidential manner?
If you answered “no” or are unsure of the answers to any of these questions, Horsley & Associates can help you.
A skilled and knowledgeable mergers and acquisition advisor provides value to the divestiture process by:
- Skill in negotiating the deal to increase value and add beneficial terms and make certain issues are not left out
- Provide a logical process to sell the business for the circumstances of the particular business
- Can enhance the credibility of the seller
- Can locate accounting and business changes that can increase value to the prospective purchaser
- Can find and identify logical buyers, synergy buyers and private equity buyers. We can assist in ranking the prospective purchasers according to defined criteria.
- Can provide advice related to how many prospective purchasers should be approached at a time in order to have multiple competing offers on the table. We can provide transaction advice related to sole purchasers, limited market auction and market auction.
- We can use our knowledge of past transactions and accounting knowledge to assist with consulting in preparing the business for sale including elimination of surprises to the buyer. Surprises kill deals. It is better to take the time to make certain the data is fairly and accurately presented and proactively address the issues at the right time in the process
- Can successfully act as a buffer between the buyer and seller when tough issues need to be communicated and solved. This allows the seller to preserve goodwill between the buyer and seller
- Can provide education and coaching to the seller in order to best present themselves and be realistic with the seller related to business value, deal terms, business issues and accounting problems
The Deep Research Method™
We created The Deep Research Method™ in order to get better results for our clients.
- The Deep Research Method™is a multi-stage process that uses advanced investigation techniques and market research to dig deeply into the facts.
- For each assignment, we perform a detailed analysis of what makes your business most attractive to the various buyer groups we have identified and assess the best way to present your information to the prospective buyers groups.
- For each assignment, we perform industry research to determine unique industry factors and whether it is a good time to sell or not. We consider the current economy and expected future economy and how it effects your business and industry.
- We consider each assignment a unique opportunity to create exceptional value for our client and the buyer.
- We utilize the Value Builder System™ to properly assess 8 different value drivers of your business compared to similar size businesses in your unique industry.
- For each business we assess the readiness of the business for sale and what could be accomplished to improve business saleability.
- We arrange to perform due diligence on your information before it is presented to prospective buyers in order to identify potential problems/issues and to resolve problems/issues in advance.
Our merger and acquisition specialists are experienced in assisting companies and individuals in selling businesses – in transactions ranging from 1 million to over 60 million dollars. As a result, we understand what is involved in selling a business and can help you maximize the returns and minimize the risks – whether you are selling a division or the entire company.
Contact Us Today
Call us today to learn more about how to attract the right potential buyers and present your business in a manner that maximizes the return from its sale. We would be pleased to meet with you to determine how to sell your business successfully.
Phone 905-528-4446 or contact us to arrange a meeting